NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) — If you've ever wanted to try out an eReader before you buy it, then now is your chance. The New Hanover County Public Library has NookTM eReaders available for checkout.
According to a press release, each NookTM is preloaded with at least 20 bestsellers and classics. Bestsellers include:
- Tick Tock by James Patterson
- The Dressmaker of Kahir Khana by Gayle Lemmon
- Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult
- and Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer.
Some of the classics are:
- Treasure Island
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- Pride and Prejudice
Since only the purchaser can download new books, borrowers will not be able to download or buy additional eBooks to add to eReaders belonging to the library. Because an eReader is more expensive than a normal book and comes with accessories, loaning them involves a few special rules and procedures that will be explained in detail at checkout. Briefly, these are the guidelines:
- NooksTM are loaned for one week, and renewals are not allowed.
- NooksTM are preloaded with eBooks, and adding additional content is not allowed.
- If a NookTM is returned late, the fee is $1 per day. Maximum late fee charged is $5.
- If a NookTM and/or any of its accessories are not returned, borrowers assume responsibility to pay for replacement and processing. Maximum fee charged is $250.
“The purpose of loaning eReaders is to expose the public to new technology in a safe and nonthreatening environment,” said Library Director Harry Tuchmayer in a statement. “We bought several different types of eReader devices and one of our Reference Librarians offers classes on downloading content to them. Now we’re making a few eReaders available so borrowers can take them home and decide if they enjoy reading electronically enough to invest in buying their own device.”